Friday, December 10, 2010

More Tips on Handling Holiday Stress

What do you call people who are afraid of Santa Claus? Claustrophobic.  -Anonymous 

I have a Facebook account, but I only check it a couple of times a week.  I also limit my posts to quotes by famous people and the various activities involving the squirrels in my yard.  A post that caught my attention last week was a question as to how to handle holiday stress.  Of course, I suggested reading my blog.  My hope is that these suggestions will be taken to heart and will encourage people to be happier, healthier, more optimistic, and less stressed out.  I realize that this time of year that’s a tall order.  It seems as though the Christmas season is tailor-made for inducing stress. 

Part of the reason we feel stressed during this otherwise festive season is that we go to parties we would rather not attend, eat food we ought to avoid, and spend money we don’t have.  All those combined make for a stress-filled Christmas that leaves us glad when it’s all over.  Honestly, shouldn’t we be enjoying ourselves during Christmas as opposed to feeling like we are overwhelmed?  Yes, we should be. The problem is we simply lack the strategies for making that hope a reality.  Consider these additional strategies for feeling less stressed during the Christmas season:
  • Learn to truly enjoy putting up Christmas decorations. Here we are at the tenth day of December and many people are yet to put up their decorations.  It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate.  All you need is a humble tree and Christmas lights and you will be amazed at how festive your home becomes.  One of my favorite parts of Christmas is getting up early and having my morning coffee with just the lights from the Christmas tree illuminating the room.  Those quiet moments help me to keep everything about Christmas in proper perspective.     
  • Play happy Christmas music all throughout the house.  Every year our supply of Christmas CD’s grows.  That’s because we buy them in January when the stores are practically giving them away.  Play that music and get in the Christmas spirit. 
  • Take time for yourself.  Last week I was feeling fairly stressed out like I always do this time of year, so rather than sit around letting it all get to me I decided to get proactive.  My solution was simple; I took Ada to the park and we went for a long walk.  The weather was freezing, but Ada loved it and I have to say that the cold air was invigorating.  I came back from that walk in the park energized and ready once again to plunge head-long into the Christmas festivities.  You may not be able to take a cold weather hike, but surely you can find something that’s just for you.   
  • Take a deep breath, slow down, and relax.  In a few short weeks Christmas 2010 will be only a memory.  Resolve to enjoy it while it’s here.
It’s going to be a great Christmas!  

No comments:

Post a Comment