Friday, December 24, 2010

More Strategies for a Great Christmas

We never repent of having eaten too little.  -Thomas Jefferson  

We just returned from a family trip to Ohio and I have to say that it was a wonderful time.  In fact, I cannot recall when we have had a more relaxed and stress free trip than this one.  Part of the reason for me personally is that I resolved to simply enjoy being with family who I don’t get to see very often, and in the process not think about problems awaiting me back home.  I am glad to report that this strategy worked magnificently.  There are a few issues I had to face upon my return and I barely thought about them during this visit.  The result was a special and meaningful time with family. 

Another strategy I employed was a strict adherence to my daily exercise routine.  Each of the three mornings we were at my parent’s home I blocked out time in my schedule for my daily 30 minutes of calisthenics.  My folks were a little dubious of my plan to exercise outside on their patio in 20 degree weather, but I assured them that it would be fine as I had been exercising outside at home during two weeks of single digit weather.  I don’t recommend this to everyone, but for me this is invigorating and uplifting.  Remember my rule of consulting with your family doctor before beginning any exercise routine. 

My third strategy for our family visit in Ohio was to limit my portions of all that rich and wonderful food that was served to us about every hour.  We had a joke that if we became hungry we should eat as we probably hadn’t done so in at least two or three hours.  I admit that I struggled with keeping the portions sizes down, but I take comfort in knowing that this blessed season, with all this great food, is about to end for another year.  With all this in mind, consider these continued strategies for making this the best Christmas ever:
  • Resolve that as soon as Christmas is over you will return to a normal and healthier diet.
  • Keep up your exercise routine.  Do not allow all the other aspects of the Christmas season to deter you from this healthy endeavor.  The result will be a healthier, more relaxed, and better adjusted you. 
  • Do not be distracted by difficult relatives.  We all have them.  As I have stated in previous blogs, resolve to be the bigger person.  Set an example of how a mature, well adjusted, and focused adult handles family conflicts. 
I love the Christmas season.  Make a conscious decision to make this the best Christmas ever. 

Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment