Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Getting Going on Dreary Days

Act as if what you do makes a difference.  It does.  -William James 

Let me tell you a story about dark, cloudy, rainy days, stress, problems, and fatigue from a sleepless night.  Someone close to me was going through a bad time and that lay heavy on my mind the other night.  After falling asleep around 1:00 AM, I awoke around 5:30 unable to go back to sleep.  “Four and a half hours will have to do,” I thought, as a made my way to the coffee pot.  An hour or so later as the first light of day began to appear in the eastern sky I was greeted with leaden skies, clouds, and the possibility of rain.  I knew then that it was time to put into practice pretty much everything I have learned about managing depression, sorrow, and the blues.   

By 7:30 that morning I was in my favorite chair, my Bible open, and reading some passages that always bring encouragement.  Following this was a time of prayer for God’s grace, strength, and power to override the overwhelming negativity that was hovering over me.  Following this was 30 minutes of calisthenics, a good breakfast, put on a suit and tie, and head for the office. 

Please don’t think I am bragging here.  What I am trying to get across is that there are strategies we can adopt to manage depression, sorrow, and the blues.  I am thankful every day that God has given me the strength and insight to learn how to manage my emotions especially in those times when I might otherwise have become discouraged.  If I can do this, then you can as well.  Consider these strategies for moving forward on those days when the blues try to settle in:
  • Look past the dark clouds and know that there is sunshine behind them.  I know that sounds cheesy, but it works.  On days that are dark and cloudy our emotional state can be dark as well.  Resolve to rise above the negative that is trying to hold you down. 
  • Make a list of goals for that day, or a simple “to-do list.”  On days where the heaviness of the blues is setting in, a positive response is to see the day as a series of short-term goals to be met.  Nothing fancy, folks; 7:00 AM, shower and dressed; 7:30, breakfast; 8:30, arrive at office; 9:00 AM, staff meeting.  You get the idea.  After each item on the list is done, draw a check-mark through it.  At the end of the day look back at your list of completed tasks and bask in the glow of a productive day.   
  • Don’t give in to negative thoughts.  When the pessimistic thoughts creep into your mind, resolve to overcome them with positive.  Sing a happy song, quote a Bible verse, or recall a funny story.  Keep the bad thoughts at bay and get moving.  

Do not allow negativity to get a foothold in your heart, attitude, or thought processes.

It’s going to be a great day! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment