Monday, December 27, 2010

Looking Ahead to new Growth in the Coming Year

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy.  -Cynthia Nelms 

I am the kind of person that tends to think a little too much.  Someone who knew me in high school and who then caught up with me a few years ago via the Internet said that I always looked like a had  a lot on my mind.  That is a fair assessment.  I did then and I often do now.  That is why I have devoted a great deal of energy learning how to manage my emotions lest I become distracted to the point of becoming depressed and anxious all of the time.  Believe me when I say that there are strategies we can develop that will empower us to stop being anxious, depressed, moody, and cynical.  The challenge comes in developing these strategies and then putting them into practice. 

As we come to the end of the year I hope that you will see this as an occasion to reflect on what you have learned in the past year and then make some plans for personal growth in the year ahead.  Be careful not to give into feelings of discouragement over what didn’t get done this past year.  There are wonderful opportunities ahead to grow and move toward your goals and dreams.  Consider these strategies for personal growth and becoming a more positive person:
 
  • Remember that you have the power to alter negative and destructive thought processes.  When you feel yourself slipping into a negative frame of mind, stop and take hold of the situation.  The only person forcing you to dwell on failures, problems, or disappointments is you.  Don’t try to completely block out the bad memory, but instead let it play out and then move on.  And I mean move on – to happier and brighter thoughts.  You are an individual of immeasurable worth and potential.  Never forget that. 
  • Picture what you desire to accomplish in the coming year and then move toward it.  Be sure that your goals are realistic and attainable.  Have a plan as to how your goals will be accomplished.  If it’s exercise, start small and work your way up.  If it’s losing weight, chose a diet program and stick with it.   
  • Begin to view problems as opportunities for personal growth.  Muscles don’t grow unless they are stretched.  The old saying about “no pain no gain” is true.  The same rule applies to growing in maturity and focus.  As we learn how to manage our emotions in times of stress and discouragement we build character and patience.   
  • Be patient.  Becoming what God intends for us to be takes time – a lifetime, in fact.  Try not to rush it and learn to enjoy yourself along the way. 
So, what do you have planned for today?  Now is the time and today is the day.  Rise up and get going. 

It’s going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment