Monday, October 11, 2010

Preparing for the 100 Meter Mosey

Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.  –Eddie Cantor 

Recently I was on the phone with my sister when I realized that I had to be going.  “I guess I’ll mosey along now,” I told her.  She laughed and asked me, “Are you getting ready for the 100 meter mosey?” “No,” I replied, “actually I’m in training for the 50 meter mosey.  Sort of a warm-up for the big 100 meter mosey.” We shared a good laugh at our inside joke and I did indeed mosey along.  For those who are clueless as to why this is supposed to be funny, I will explain that the joke is from a comic strip cartoon called “The Far Side” by Gary Larson.  One of my favorites depicts a running track with several cowboys, each one wearing a number, and they are obviously in some sort of race.  The caption underneath reads, “The 100 Meter Mosey.” 

What a great way to occasionally go at life; mosey rather than rush forward.   I realize that sometimes we have to get on with it, right?  We can’t just sit there and expect life to happen.  Believe me when I say that accomplishments and goals will not happen on their own; we have to work at them.  However, there are times when moseying is preferable to the breakneck speed at which we rush through our day-to-day experiences.  What I’m trying to say is, slow down folks; we’re killing ourselves here.

To mosey means to sort of amble along with a destination, but to be in no particular hurry.  A stroll is okay, a walk is fine as well, but moseying is purely an art form.  Perhaps one of the greatest problems with life is that we get in a hurry.  We hurry around in the morning getting ready for work, we hurry throughout the day, we rush home, and if we are not careful we hurry our way through our most important relationships.  Most people are so distracted by problems, stress, worry, fear, and the anxiety over what may or may not happen that they have forgotten how to stop and enjoy the moment.  

Slow down, take it easy, relax, and take some time to enjoy life right where you are.   Stop wishing tomorrow would hurry up and get here.  It will arrive soon enough.  Instead of rushing ahead, try moseying along every once in a while.  Learn to appreciate a beautiful sunset or sunrise, go for a walk in the park, spend more time playing with your children or grandchildren, take up some new hobby, be more kind to those around you, stop being critical, try smiling more often, and resolve to make positive statements as opposed to negative.

While you’re at it, take time to mosey along now and then.  You will find that it’s more therapeutic than you would ever have imagined. 

No comments:

Post a Comment