Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Getting Rid of the Lead Weights

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon - instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today.  –Dale Carnegie 

Around 20 years ago a friend of mine decided he was going to get in shape.  I stopped by his house to see how his workout plan was going, and he showed me some arm and leg weights that were designed to enhance his workout.  Have you ever seen those?  They are lead weights, encased within straps, which can be placed around the ankles and wrists and secured with Velcro.  I decided that I had to try those out for myself.  Walking around or lifting my arms became a real challenge.  I will never forget the heaviness of those weights on my arms and legs.  

Trying to make it through the day when you are suffering from depression or sadness feels like those heavy weights around your body.  You feel lethargic and disconnected.  Even the most menial tasks can become too much trouble.  The temptation to crawl back into bed or doing nothing appears to be the only option.  I know exactly how that feels, for I have been there myself.  Let me challenge you today to not surrender to that heaviness that may be surrounding you right now.  The time has come to rise up and fight back.  Allow me to offer some suggestions:

-Prayer. Whatever your faith, religious background, or personal beliefs, give prayer a try.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Begin each day with a prayer for strength.  

-Develop a routine and stick with it. I know from my own battle with depression that mornings can be the worst; do not surrender and go back to bed.  Rise up and get moving.  Get up and eat a healthy breakfast: bran cereal, English muffins, wheat toast, or some fresh fruit – a lot of possibilities here.  Develop healthy eating habits throughout the day.  Get cleaned up and put on some nice clothes; how we present ourselves in public does influence our self-esteem.  If you are retired, do not sit around all day in your pajamas with the shades drawn.  How horrible!  It’s a great big wonderful world out there filled with interesting people and limitless possibilities.  Get out there and be a part of it!

-Get out of the house and into the sunshine. Sunshine has a wonderfully therapeutic effect on our moods.  Even in the winter I will bundle up get outside in the sunshine in the morning.  The results of this are remarkable. 

-Develop an exercise routine. I will explore this more in later blogs, but exercise promotes a brighter outlook and presents a powerful defense against the blues.  Take a walk, ride a bike, play some tennis – the possibilities are numerous.  The key is to just do it. 

Once you get up and get going, and do so consistently, the lead weights will begin to fall off.  Get going, keep moving, don’t surrender, and enjoy the day.   

It’s going to be a great day – truly!  

No comments:

Post a Comment