Friday, October 29, 2010

Overcoming the Fear of Trying Something New

Never let the fear of striking out get in your way.  -Babe Ruth 

The last time Andrea and I took a vacation to Florida was in the summer of 1985.  I remember that vacation for a number of reasons, one of which was that our wonderful vacation was cut short by hurricane Elaina.  Not only did she bring to a screeching halt one of the best vacations ever, but she nearly wrecked Clearwater, Florida and Bellaire Beach.  This was before Andrea and I had any children, so we were free to hold hands and run along the white sand beaches like a couple of teenagers.  I have another memory of that vacation as well; that was the time we met a little girl named Agatha.

Agatha and her family were staying at the same hotel as us, and we couldn’t help but overhear her and her parents talking with one another in wonderfully fluent French.  One morning as Andrea and I sat by the pool, Agatha came over and introduced herself – in flawless English.  For the rest of the week, until Elaina ran us off the beach, Agatha would sit with Andrea and me and chat about her life in Canada.  She lived in a community where everyone by necessity had to master three languages, French, Polish, and English, a feat she had accomplished by the tender age of nine years.  I will never forget the question she put to me one day: “So, how many languages do you speak?” “Just one,” I laughed, “and I struggle with that one.” Bless her innocent heart, but Agatha never caught the irony of my answer. 

This little girl’s question has lingered in my mind for 25 years.  Why haven’t I learned another language?  I have always wanted to, but have never found the time or motivation to do so.  And I have always felt that I was somehow missing out on a powerful and amazing experience.  The main point of this is that it’s never too late to take on something new: a new talent, a new hobby, or interest.  The only hindrance standing in the way is us.  As a pastor, if I could learn Spanish, for example, I could find people to converse with all over Bristol, for Spanish speaking people are frequently moving into the community.  This could be a valuable extension of ministry. 

So, what about you?  What is stopping you from trying something you have never done before?  Do not allow fear to stop you, and do not allow the fear of failure to stand in the way.  You never know until you try.

  • Take the trip you have long dreamed of.
  • Obtain the canvas and the paint, and begin painting.
  • Volunteer with the relief agency.
  • Go back to school and earn your degree.
  • Sit down and begin writing the novel that has long been inside you.

Great accomplishments always began with those who overcame their fears of failure.

If not now, when?  If not you, who? 

Get started – today!

No comments:

Post a Comment