Friday, February 4, 2011

Fit at 50

On your birthday: count your candles, count your years, count your blessings.  -Unknown 

In about five months I will reach the age of 50.  What a great age; it’s such a nice, round, number.  I recall when I was a teenager that being 50 was way beyond my comprehension.  That was my dad’s age!  And now here I am.  Am I fearful of this milestone birthday?  The answer is not at all.  I welcome it as an opportunity to reflect on where I am in my life and where I am going. 

This occasion of reaching the age of 50 has given me a serious goal, which is to be in the best physical condition of my entire life.  This is absolutely possible and after 16 months of daily exercise I am almost there.  If I can accomplish this, so can you.  No matter your age or the shape you’re in right now, you too can join me in taking back control of your health.  The result will be a happier, healthier, and brighter person with a more positive outlook on life. 

So, where are you right now in terms of your health, attitude, and perspective on life?  Are you where you want to be?  If not, then positive changes are within your grasp.  Negative attitudes, poor eating habits, and a bleak outlook on life can be changed.  As I have stated many times, it’s never too late to affect positive change.  Consider these strategies for making positive changes in your life: 

  • Sit down and make a list of areas of your life that need changed. These could include losing weight, being more positive, having more energy, and accomplishing certain goals.  Now go back and order your list by priority.  Develop a strategy for affecting the desired change, and take them one at a time.  Having mapped out a plan, stick with it. 
  • Resolve to be happy right now.  This seems simple enough, but if that’s the case, why are so many people miserable all of the time?  One reason is that we tend to base our happiness on our present life circumstances.  We will always have problems.  Life will never be perfect or trouble free.  Make a decision to enjoy any happiness that comes your way regardless of what is going on in your life. 
  • Are you a generally lethargic person?  If so, get up and start moving.  Even taking a walk every day can elevate mood and provide increased energy.  Stop sitting around; rise up and start getting the exercise you need.  It doesn’t have to be complicated, but can be as simple as walking or riding a bike. 
  • Make a conscious decision to make positive statements.  No one wants to be around someone that whines and complains all of the time.  Become a more positive and optimistic person.  It can be done. 
Life is waiting.  The time has come to stop surviving and start living.  Today is the day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment