Monday, January 10, 2011

More Thoughts on the Importance of Daily Exercise

The Shape you’re in Could Save Your Life.  –The American Heart Association  

I have devoted a lot of space to writing about the importance of exercise, and I trust that today you will bear with me while I write again on this vital subject.  I have practiced various forms of exercise over the years, but I confess that in recent years I had simply stopped exercising on a daily basis.  This can happen easily as we become caught up with all of the responsibilities and distractions that wear on our schedules.  Many of us desire to get more exercise, but we don’t make the time to do so.  In my twenties I began jogging and I kept that up off and on for a number of years.  Later when I was a seminary student, I added to jogging a routine of strength training using nautilus machines.  Unfortunately, when I finished seminary I became caught up with the demands of family and ministry and my exercise program faltered. 

As stated in a previous blog, fourteen months ago I began a daily exercise routine consisting of 20-30 minutes of calisthenics.  The results have been remarkable.  At 49 I may be in the best shape of my life.  Again, I say that if I can do this you can as well.  The American Heart Association (AHA) is about to begin their annual pledge drive which will take place during the month of February.  Consider these words from the AHA about what exercise can do.   

Daily exercise has the power to… 
  • Reduce the risk of heart disease by improving blood circulation throughout the body
  • Keep weight under control
  • Improve blood and cholesterol levels
  • Prevent and manage high blood pressure
  • Prevent bone loss
  • Boost energy level
  • Help manage stress
  • Release tension
  • Improve the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well
  • Improve self image
  • Counter anxiety and depression and increase enthusiasm and optimism
  • Increase muscle strength
  • In older people, help delay or prevent chronic illness and diseases associated with aging and maintain a quality of life and independence longer 
I agree wholeheartedly with the above statements, and my sincere hope is that you will take them to heart (No pun intended).  Daily exercise will make a positive difference. 

It’s going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment