Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Getting Enough Sleep?

A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.  -Charlotte Brontë 

Most of us understand that proper sleep is necessary to maintaining good health, but we don’t always get the sleep and rest we need.  Part of the problem stems from the busy, hectic, and overwhelmed lives we lead.  I have joked before that if I didn’t have to sleep I could get so much more accomplished!  However, getting the right amount of sleep each night is a vital part of an overall approach to good health and like or not, I have to sleep like everyone else. 

I have read that a good night’s sleep should be around eight hours, but I typically average around six or seven.  Most nights I go to bed around 12:30 AM and am up between 6:30 or 7:00 AM.  I have not given up on that elusive eight hours, but these days six or so seem to be working for me.  However, you may need more than that to keep up with your daily schedule.  If so, there is nothing wrong with that and this should merit keeping your schedule adjusted accordingly.   

I also have conversations with people who have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep.  Obviously, the first person you should talk with about this problem is your doctor, as he or she can advise you on what the problem may be.  In the meantime, consider these simple strategies for getting a better night’s sleep:
  • Cut back on caffeine, especially later in the day.  If you are drinking regular coffee or caffeinated drinks late into the day there is a good chance this will affect your sleep.  Try cutting back on your caffeine intake; you may find a better night’s sleep as a result. 
  • Begin or continue with a regular exercise routine.  I have found that over the last year as I have been pursuing a daily exercise routine that my sleep patterns have improved dramatically.  I fall asleep faster, sleep more deeply, and awake feeling more rested – and that with my typical six hours.  I know that I keep pounding on this point, but if you aren’t getting proper exercise, then now is the time to start.  See some of my past blogs for suggestions for getting more exercise.
  • Avoid eating right before bedtime.  If you are eating late into the evening and having trouble sleeping there may well be a connection.  Try eating your last meal of the day before 6:00 PM and avoid heavy, fatty foods late into the evening.  You may also want to avoid drinking too much fluids right before bedtime as this can affect sleep as well.
  • Practice a form of relaxation before going to bed.  Few people can go from 60 to 0 miles per hour in terms of our schedules and then go right to sleep.  Have an “unwind” period before bed.  Read a calming story or reflect on pleasant thoughts and memories. 

I was once told that sometimes the most productive thing we can do is get some rest.  That’s still good advice. 

It’s going to be a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment